Sunday, June 29, 2008

Up Against The Wall

The Great Wall.

And it sure is just that. It would be hard not to be impressed by the defensive wall that surrounded much of China's heartland. Never really tested in battle, the wall was was eventually overcome by changes within in China.

Still, when climbing the steps on top of the Wall near Beijing, it is hard to ignore the sheer physical effort it took to construct that section on a near vertical mountainside. The steps are small, and intentionally uneven to impede any invading force that might try to use the top of the wall as a pathway for troops. No records were kept of the human toll of building the wall, but thousands of workers were driven to total physical exhaustion to complete the project.

I started the climb with unclear intentions of high I might climb, and soon began to wonder about why I should do it at all. After pausing a few times to rest, the grade actually became a little less punishing, and I pressed on. At the first tower, there is a small shop to one side where you can have your picture taken with the Wall in the background and have it printed on a plastic card for 40 Yuan, about $6. So, I have photographic proof that I am a "Hero Of The Great Wall", or as I prefer to say, "Proof That I Am An Idiot!". I did climb further on, reaching the second battle tower before turning back. The descent was as I had feared, even more difficult! Finally I discovered that faster was the easier way to travel, using the handrail for assistance, and keeping a sharp lookout for those uneven steps. With a serious case of "Jelly Legs", and soaking wet from the heat/humidity of the day, I successfully reached the bottom. Others in our group climbed much farther, but I was satisfied.

The views were fantastic, and I got a lot of great pictures along the way up and down. Yes it was worth it, and although I dreaded the sore muscles I anticipated for the next day, they never really appeared.

No comments: